Literature Available

Bernsohn, Ken. (1981) Cutting Up the North: The History of the Forest Industry in the Northern Interior. North Vancouver: Hancock House Publishers Ltd.
Location: PG Public Library, 338.47 Ber
1920 – dimension lumber selling (rough) at $32 per thousand board feet, (planed at $38 per thousand board feet); all major mills busy: United Grain Growers (the largest), Eagle Lake at Giscome, Upper Fraser Lumber Company, Aleza Lake Mills, Hansard Lake Lumber, Penny Lumber, Gale and Trick at Hansard Lake, and eleven other smaller mills (p. 31)
Early 40’s: The larger operations at Penny, Sinclair Mills, Upper Fraser and Giscome milled day and night (p. 51)
1959: Midway Terminals bought Sinclair Mills and Upper Fraser, later the Co. changed its name to National Forest Products (p. 104)
Oct.4, 1967 Strike (IWA) at Northwood’s Eagle Lake, McGregor, Upper Fraser (p. 108)
Walski, Eileen E. (1985) Homemade Memories: A History of Willow River, BC. Steinbch, Man.: Derkson Printers Ltd.
Location: CNC, FC 3849.W54 H6 1985 c.1
Bernsohn, Ken. (1981) Slabs, Scabs and Skidders: A History of the IWA in the Central Interior. Prince George: IWA Local 1-424.
Location: PG Public Library, LOC 331.88 BER
Logging was declared an essential industry. A law was passed allowing timber to be taken from anywhere necessary (date is not stated in text). The big operators at Penny, Sinclair Mills, Upper Fraser and Giscome milled as long as there was logs to cut, day or night, and still needed more production (p.11)
1967: The workers in McGregor, Eaglet Lake, Upper Fraser and other Northwood operations were organizing a strike committee, picketing, filling in strike relief forms for each worker and holding meetings (p. 56)
Ramsey, Bruce. (1964). John Giscome's Country. Giscome: Eagle Lake Sawmills Limited.
Location: PG Public Library, 971.12 Ram LOC.  Copy in file: Academic Papers
Post office opened - Aug. 1, 1942, by Sam Laird (p. 51)
It was one of the last of the post offices to be opened along the Upper Fraser (p. 51)
Hawkes, Brad C. (June 1997) "Significant Fire Years in the Prince George Area – A Media Perspective Taken from the Prince George Citizen Newspaper (1912 – 1961)" Submitted as part of a final report on a Retrospective Fire Study, Ecological Processes Team, University of Northern B.C., Faculty of Natural Resources and Environmental Studies. Victoria, B.C.: Fire Research Group, Canadian Forest Service, and Pacific Forestry Centre.
Copy of Article in File: Academic Papers
Aug. 13, 1942:
Upper Fraser Spruce Mills Camp 13 was shut down temporarily, the crew was taken to fight the forest fire at Purden Lake (p. 25)
Young, W. (1985) The Forest Industry of the Prince George Area: 1960 - 1984 --- Including the Dynamic Area. Paper presented at a Forest History Seminar in Prince George, 26 February 1985.
Location: Prince George Public Library, Local History Vertical File.  File name at Library: Forests and Forestry - BC - PG.  Copy of item in file: Forestry
1961:
Northwood Mines acquired the assets of Sinclair Spruce Mills Ltd. And Upper Fraser Spruce Mills Ltd.
The name "Northwood Mills Ltd." was incorporated
Doug Little came to P.G. as Woods Manager of the Company (p. 4)
1964:
amalgamation of TFL 30, 31 and 34 in the Upper Fraser area into one TFL (p. 10)